This recipe is from Sunset magazine–March 1997. I use much fresher ingredients these days–from my garden, but this is still pretty healthy. And if you’re a vegetarian, just use 3/4 pound potatoes instead and substitute 4 cups broccoli florets for the chicken. And the best news–only 384 calories per serving!
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1/2 lb. thin skinned potatoes–like Yukon gold–unpeeled, diced
- 3 TBS cornstarch
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) stewed Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 3/4 oz.) corn kernels, drained
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 unbaked refrigerated pie crust, at room temperature
4. Unfold 1 pastry round according to package directions. on a lightly floured board roll into a 12-inch round, or 1 inch larger for the other shapes. Place over filling, fold edges under and flush with pan rim and use fork to press against rim. Make a couple decorative slits in the crust.
5. Bake pie in a 350 degree oven until filling is hot in the center, about 1 hour. Lay foil over crust if it begins to over brown. Let pie cool about 10 minutes, then spoon from dish.
It’s a little runny, but so so good!