- 3 garlic, chopped
- 1 small package peeled baby carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 6 – 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 – 32oz. boxes of chicken broth
- 2-3 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 package baby spinach, chopped
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- grated Parmesan for topping, optional
This is pretty much all I used…and the garlic, of course.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot–I used my 9 quart Le Crueset–and stir in the onions, carrots, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and the Italian seasoning. Cook over medium high heat until onions are translucent–about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the broth, 5 cans of beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
Here’s the trick to a creamy broth without the cream. Take one can of beans, add a little water and mash with an emulsion blender.
Add the mashed beans to the pot and stir.
As the soup cooks, skim the froth off the top. Continue to cook until flavors blend–at least 20 minutes, but longer if you have time.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Add the chopped spinach.
Give it a stir and cook on medium low until spinach is wilted and you’re ready to serve it. As Ina Garten would say, “How easy is that!”
This is one of those soups that’s actually better the next day.
You can add a little ground pepper on top or sprinkle with a bit of Parmesan cheese. Oh and did I mention–only 254 calories–without the Parmesan!