When I need inspiration for a great idea for dinner I always turn to my two favorites–Martha Stewart and Ina Garten. I love the simplicity of their meals and their recipes are foolproof. But I admit, sometimes I tweak them just to change things up. But this Thai-Style Steak Salad is pure Martha Stewart–my only change was to grill the steak on the BBQ instead of cooking it a skillet.
If the snow is too deep on your patio, you can use a skillet, but just remember, when spring arrives, try BBQing the steak–it’s just that much better.
This is my new favorite–it’s really tasty and super easy and quick to make.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I used 1/2 tsp)
- 3 TBS vegetable oil
- 2 boneless rib-eye steaks (each 8 oz. and 3/4 inch thick)
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 lb. carrots–3 to 4 medium
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into 1-inch ribbons
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts (optional)
- 1/3 cup salted peanuts, chopped (optional–but really tasty)
1. Make the marinade: In a medium bowl or measuring cup, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes, and oil.
2. Season steaks with salt and pepper; place in a baking dish. Pour 1/4 of the marinade over the steaks. Reserve the rest–it will be the dressing. Turn steaks to coat. Marinate up to 30 minutes. Cook on BBQ until medium–about 6 minutes a side. Remove from grill and let rest for at least 8 minutes.
3. Use a vegetable peeler to cut carrots into long ribbons.
4. Chop peanuts and mint.
5. Begin to assemble. Add lettuce to a large salad bowl.
6. Add mint and carrots.
7. After the steak has rested, slice across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
9. Add steak to salad bowl with the lettuce and mint; toss to combine.
10. Divide salad among four shallow bowls. Sprinkle with bean sprouts and peanuts.
I think you’ll like this one a lot–it’s quicker than going for Thai take-out and a lot healthier.
And here’s a big welcome to my new readers in Bermuda. Remember, read it first at Stu News.
- (Could Be Vegan) Cabbage Soup–So Easy To Make, So Good To Eat
- Winter Harvest, Roger’s Gardens Tomatomania! & Spring Planting
Tags: BBQ thai steak salad, Martha Stewart Thai-style Steak Salad, thai steak salad
Leave a Reply