- 1 lb. coarsely ground beef (or just regular)
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage (not in the casing)
- 1 TBS. olive oil, or a little more if needed
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño, chopped, (with seeds if you like it hot)
- 14 oz. diced fire-roasted tomatoes with green chiles
- 10 oz. Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 30 oz. kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 40 oz. pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup India Pale Ale
- 1 packet Carroll Shelby’s chili season kit
- ADDITIONAL SEASONINGS: cumin, S & P, Slap Ya Mama, chili powder
In a large stock pot brown both the sausage and ground beef separately over medium high heat. Add salt and pepper and 1/2 tsp. cumin as it cooks. Drain and remove to a bowl.
Heat olive oil in the same pot and add the onion, red pepper, green pepper, jalapeño and garlic.
Season with salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp. cumin and cook until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
Now for the easy part. Add all the cans of tomatoes, chicken broth, India Pale Ale, and the Carroll Shelby seasonings. Cook over medium-low heat for at least an hour. Longer is better.
Add the pinto and kidney beans and cook for at least 2 more hours. Taste and adjust seasonings.
This is really better the next day, so if you have time, refrigerate it and re-heat.
Ladle into large bowls and enjoy. You could top it with cheddar cheese, chives, sour cream or your other favorite topping, but I like it just like this–with Hav’a Chips on the side.