Springtime. Longer days, warmer evenings and a good bowl of….soup? You might think this sounds crazy, but when the first spring vegetables are ready to pick, this soup is a refreshingly light supper you can enjoy on your front porch, your deck or in your garden.
I confess, I love the vegetable soup at Zinc Cafe. Did you know they list the ingredients from all their dishes on their website? No measurements, but we all know I don’t measure. Here’s a link if you’d like to check it out. www.zinccafe.com
This recipe was inspired by Zinc but I added a few touches of my own–you can do the same. Have a favorite vegetable that’s not on my list? No problem. Add and subtract as you like. Sometimes I’ll throw in pasta shells or tortellini if I want a hearty meal. Have kids? Add alphabet pasta and they’ll have fun eating their veggies.
And for my vegan friends like Janine, www.lagunadirt.com, use veggie broth, omit the cheese and you’ve got a great meal, too!
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion (white and green parts)
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cup chopped Yukon gold potatoes (not peeled)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup green beans cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes if you don’t have fresh from your garden
- 64 oz. organic chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 15 oz. pinto beans or cannellini beans–your choice
- 1/4 cup fresh pea pods, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1-2 TBS chopped parsley
- 1 TBS chopped thyme
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 1/4 oz Parmesan cheese rind
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
And thank you to my readers all over the world–58 countries and counting. I appreciate your emails and suggestions. The latest request–good recipes for those on the paleo diet. I’m working on it, Cathy!
Categories: Soups & Salads